Top 10 Don In Mumbai: Dawood Ibrahim is the number 1 don in Mumbai. Basically, an Indian gangster known as a drug lord is a perilous man in Mumbai and a kingpin of D-Company. The city of Mumbai is also known as the ‘City of Dreams.’ It is filled with opportunities and is also known as the economic capital of India. This also made Mumbai an underworld hotspot. Many people came to Mumbai, asserted their dominance, and rose to fame as underworld ‘Dons.’
Top 10 Don In Mumbai
Mumbai has seen an era of different notorious dons who all had only one aim: to rule over the entire Mumbai City. But after the late ’90s, the Mumbai police started cracking down on these dons, which eventually led to them fleeing the country. Many of them fled to Dubai, Pakistan, and other foreign countries. Some of them were caught and extradited, while some are still at large. Let’s take a look at The top 10 dons in Mumbai.
No 1. Dawood Ibrahim
Probably the most notorious and dangerous person who ever ruled Mumbai, popular don in Mumbai, Dawood Ibrahim is the kingpin of D-Company. His father was a police inspector and didn’t earn much. This eventually led to Dawood resorting to petty crimes. Dawood Ibrahim committed his first crime when he was only 15 years old. Dawood Ibrahim was already into pick-pocketing, stealing, and beating people.
After the 1993 bombings, Dawood Ibrahim fled India and has ever since been a wanted man by Interpol.
- Dawood Ibrahim was born on 26th December 1955 to Ibrahim Kasir, who was a police inspector.
- Dawood Ibrahim was born in the small village of Khed, which is in Ratnagiri, Maharashtra.
- It is said that Dawood Ibrahim’s brother Iqbal lives in Mumbai.
- Dawood Ibrahim’s daughters and sons are married to elite people around the globe.
No 2. Haji Mastaan
A famous don in Mumbai, Haji Mastaan, is also known as the father of the Mumbai underworld, and he singlehandedly managed to rule over the entire Mumbai City. This lands Haji Mastaan in the second spot on our Mumbai don list. Haji Mastaan moved to Mumbai in 1934 with his father when he was just 8 years old. They both ran a cycle repair workshop in Crawford Market.
With all the money Haji Mastaan had, he started financing Bollywood movies and became a film producer. Haji Mastaan’s life has also inspired movies like ‘Once Upon A Time in Mumbai’ and characters like ‘Vijay Verma’ in the blockbuster hit ‘Dewaar.’ Haji Mastaan was arrested during the 1970’s Emergency.
- Haji Mastan was born as Mastan Haider Mirza on 1ST March 1996in Pannaikulam, near Ramanathapuram, Tamilnadu.
- Haji Mastaanmarried twice and has an adopted son and a daughter.
- Haji Mastaan never killed or hurt anyone physically and ruled only through respect and fear.
No 3. Karim Lala
When Haji Mastan ruled Mumbai, the best don in Mumbai, Karim Lala was the second most powerful person and Mastan’s only rival. Karim Lala came to Mumbai in the 1930s and started his gangster career by settling disputes with the help of other Pathans. They smuggled gold, silver, electronic goods and also ran various gambling dens.
Karim Lala also worked with Haji Mastan and Vardarajan Mudaliar until they become rivals after the 1970s. Karim Lala also ordered the killing of Dawood Ibrahim’s elder brother Shabir Kaskar.
- Karim Lala came to India from Afghanistan in the 1930s.
- Karim Lala was born as Abdul Karim Sher Khan in the small village of Samalam, Afghanistan 1911.
- Karim Lala was married twice and had two daughters with each of his wives.
No 4. Vardarajan Mudaliar
Vardarajan Mudaliar came to Mumbai from Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu, along with his father. Vardarajan Mudaliar worked as a porter at VT station, where he began staling dock cargo. Vardarajan Mudaliar was also very popular among Tamil residents in the slums of Dharavi.
Vardarajan Mudaliar used these slums to cover all these illegal operations, kidnappings, extortion, and contract killings. Vardarajan Mudaliar was the prime controller of illegal gambling dens, liquor racquets, and bootlegged liquor.
- Vardarajan Mudaliar was born in the year 1926 in Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu.
- Haji Mastan brought Vardarajan Mudaliar’s body from Chennai to Mumbai via a charted plane after his death in 1988.
- Vardarajan Mudaliar’s daughter and son-in-law were killed in a house fire in Chennai, 2010.
No 5. Abu Salem
Abu Salem is a notorious convicted gangster and terrorist and lands a spot in our Mumbai don list 2021. Abu Salem was a prime suspect in terrorizing famous Bollywood personalities and celebrities.
Abu Salem was in the year 1988 when he assaulted a colleague over monetary issues. Abu Salem worked as a driver for the D Company from 1989 to 1993 and mainly delivered illegal cash, weapons, and drugs to various gang members across Mumbai. Abu Salem was also has involved in the 1993 bombings, after which he fled to Dubai.
- Abu Salem was born as Abu Salem Abdul Qayoom in the Azamgarh district of Uttar Pradesh.
- Abu Salem was married once and had two sons from his first wife, who he later divorced.
- Monica Bedi is claimed to be his current partner, and both were arrested in 2002 in Portugal.
No 6. Arun Gavli
Arun Gavli is popularly known as ‘Daddy’ by his followers. Arun Gavli is a former gangster who has turned to politics. Arun Gavli is the don of Mumbai from Byculla, Chinchpokli. People claim that Arun Gavli’s father, a milkman, was harassed by some local goons.
While Arun Gavli was in the gang, he was involved in kidnappings, murders, and extortions. After the death of Rama Naik in a police encounter in 1988, Arun Gavli became the leader of the gang based in Dagdi Chawl. Arun Gavli was arrested in 2012 and is facing life imprisonment for murder charges and various other crimes.
- Arun Gavli was born to Arun Gulab Ahir in Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, on 17th July.
- Arun Gavli Married Zubeida Mujawar, who changed her name to Asha Gavli.
- Arun Gavli has two kids Mahesh and Geeta.
- Hindi and Marathi films depicting Arun Gavli’s life have been made.
No 7. Chota Rajan
Rajendra Sadashiv Nikalje is popularly known as Chota Rajan. After the death of Bada Rajan, Dawood names Rajendra as Chota Rajan, who is also one of his top henchmen.
Chota Rajan left school and eventually ended up in the bad company. It was during this time that Chota Rajan was involved in many small crimes.
Before the 1993 bombings, Chota Rajan worked with Ibrahim and Gavli. Following the bombings, he parted ways with Ibrahim and fled to Indonesia, where Chota Rajan was arrested and deported back to India.
- Rajendra Sadashiv Nikalje (Chota Rajan) was born on 13TH January 1959, and his father worked in Thane.
- Chota Rajan married Sujata Nikalje and has three daughters.
- Chota Rajan is currently facing life imprisonment for various charges.
No 8. Chota Shakeel (Top 10 Don In Mumbai)
Chota Shakeel is known to be the right hand of Dawood Ibrahim and looks after all the dealings of D Company. He entered the gang after Chota Rajan left.
Chota Shakeel also has had financial involvement in Bollywood. Chota Shakeel is also said to be the main culprit behind the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts. Chota Shakeel, too has the support of the Pakistani ISI in his criminal dealings. It is said that Chota Shakeel is under hiding in Pakistan.
- Chota Shakeel was born to Mohammed Shakeel Babu Miyan Shaikh in Mumbai on 31st December 1965.
- Chota Shakeel was married twice and had two children, names of whom are unknown.
- Chota Shakeel’s father, Babu Mistry Shaikh, died in the year 2011.
No 9. Maya Dallas (Top 10 Don In Mumbai)
Maya Dolas, in our list of the top 10 dons in Mumbai, has inspired the famous movie starring John Abraham called “Shootout at Lokhandwala.” Maya Dolas was killed in an encounter by the police officer Aftab Ahmed Khan. It is alleged that as Maya Dolas rose to fame in a concise span of time, his encounter was ordered by Dawood Ibrahim himself.
Maya Dolas’s criminal career started in 1980 when he entered the Ashok Joshi gang, climbing through the ranks.
- Maya Dolas was born as Mahindra Dolas on 15th October 1966 to parents Vithoba and Ratnaprabha Dolas.
- Maya Dolas was only twenty-five years old when he died.
No 10. Fahim Mach-Mach (Top 10 Don In Mumbai)
Among the top 10 dons in Mumbai, Fahim Mach-Mach was a part of the D Company and looked after its recovery business after the 1993 bombings when Dawood and Shakeel were under the police radar.
This is because Fahim Mach-Mach was famous for extortion, during which Fahim Mach-Mach nagged a lot. Fahim Mach-Mach became notorious after several cases of extortion were registered against him.
- Not much is known about Fahim Mach-Mach, and he is still at large investigation.
- 3 of Fahim Mach-Mach’s men were arrested in Mumbai in 2020 for extortion of a businessman.
- Who is the biggest Don in Mumbai?
Dawood Ibrahim Kaskar is the biggest and most dangerous don from Mumbai. He has currently fled to Pakistan.
- Who is the first Don of Mumbai?
Haji Mastan was the first Don of Mumbai. Although he was a gangster, he never killed or beat anyone.
- Who is the greatest don in Mumbai?
Some of them are Karim Lala and Varadarajan Mudaliar.
- Are there dons in Mumbai?
Yes, there are many dons in Mumbai.