Most Popular KPOP Groups: Kpop idols are groups and artists formed by various entertainment companies. These groups create catchy Korean popular music that targets younger audiences.
Most Popular KPOP Groups
KPop Groups are the groups of singers, rappers, and dancers. These people make several albums and songs for young audiences. Here is the list of the most popular KPop Groups.
No 1. BTS
BTS ranks at the first position in the list of the most popular KPop Groups. The group is a seven Korean boys band, that was formed after the CEO of Big Hit Entertainment got impressed with their rapping. The group got attention from the people before their debut through social media platforms. On 12th June 2013, the group made its debut with the single album 2 Cool 4 Skool. The album peaked at number five in South Korea and sold over 145,000 copies. Their first Japanese studio album Wake Up in 2014. This song was ranked third on the weekly Oricon Album Chart and sold 28,000 copies. BTS has developed and maintained a style of fusion music with an emphasis on hip hop as its musical base. The lyrics of the group are based on themes such as the issues of social identity in youth, anxieties of school-age youth, and mental health in youth culture.
- The group was formed in 2010 and made its debut in 2013 under Big Hit Entertainment.
- The seven Korean Boys of this band are Jin, Suga, J-hope, RM, Jimin, V, and Jungkook.
- This group has become the youngest ever recipient of the Order Of Cultural Merit from the President of South Korea.
No 2. EXO
EXO is a South Korean-Chinese boys band. This band was formed in 2011 by SM Entertainment. The group debuted with twelve members separated into two sub-groups – Exo-K (Suho, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, D.O., Kai, and Sehun) and Exo-M (Xiumin, Lay, Chen, Kris, Luhan, and Tao). In 2015, the group started performing in one group. They also started performing in multiple languages. In 2012, Exo-K became goodwill ambassadors for South Korea’s Red Cross Youth. 2013, EXO released its first album ‘XOXO’, and it sold over one million copies.
- The group was formed in 2011 and made its debut in 2012 under SM Entertainment.
- This band consists of 9 members- Xiumin, Suho, Lay, Chen, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, D.O, Kai, and Sehun.
- In May 2021, Exo has five active members: Xiumin, Lay, D.O., Kai, and Sehun.
- In 2017, the group received a Prime Minister Commendation at the Korean Popular Culture and Arts Awards.
No 3. Blackpink
Black is a South Korean girl group. The group made its debut in 2016 with a single album Square One. This group was formed by YG Entertainment when they were recruiting girls for a new group after launching its first major girl group 2NE1. The first album of the group charted at number one and two on the Billboard World Digital Song Sales Chart. In 2018, he released the first episode of their first reality show Blackpink House. In 2020, the group collaborated with Lady Gaga for her sixth studio album Chromatica. In December 2020, the group announced its collaboration with Youtube Music for their first Livestream concert. More than 280,000 people purchased a membership to get access to the show.
- The group was started forming in 2011 and debuted its first album in 2016.
- The four Korean girls of this group are Jisoo, Jennie, Rose, and Lisa.
- In 2021, the group was awarded its sixth Guinness World Record for being the most-subscribed band on YouTube, with over 60 million subscribers.
- In 2021, the group ranked at the 2nd position in the list of most powerful celebrities in South Korea by Forbes Korea.
No 4. NCT
NCT is a very known South Korean boy group. At the starting of the group, it only had 2 members Mark and Jaehyun. Then seven more members were added to it. In 2016, SM Entertainment announced NCT’s first unit NTC U. It released its first digital singles The 7th sense. In 2016, another subunit was launched NCT 127. It released his first two music videos for Limitless and performed the song on M Countdown. NCT Dream and WayV are another part of this band. In May 2021, NCT Dream released their first studio album Hot Sauce. The album exceeded more than 1.7 million copies in pre-orders.
- The Full Form of this group is Neo Culture Technology.
- The band consists of 6 Sub Units – NCT U, NCT 127, NCT Dream, Way V, Way V Kun & Xiaojun, NCT Hollywood.
- In 2020, the group was awarded Grand Daesang Award by Asian Artists Award.
No 5. Monsta X
Monsta X is a very famous South Korean Boy Group. This group was formed as the result of a survival program called No. Mercy. The name of the group contains the double meaning of Monsters conquering the K-pop scene and My star. In 2015, the group made its debut with the release of their first extended play Trespass and it consists of seven different tracks. In March 2020, the group donated 100 million won to the Good Neighbors, a charity organization helping low-income families in South Korea. In 2021, the group became the global brand ambassadors for the cosmetics brand Urban Decay. The style of this group is intense or aggressive with elements of hip hop, EDM, and pop.
- The group was formed under Starship Entertainment.
- The band consists of 6 members- Shownu, Minhyuk, Khinyun, Hyungwon, Joohoney, and I.M.
- In 2019, the group was honored Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism Commendation in South Korea.
No 6. Red Velvet
Red Velvet is a very amazing South Korean girl group. The group made its debut in 2014, with the digital single Happiness consisting four-member Irene, Seulgi, Wendy, and Joy. In 2019, the group released their first Japanese digital single, titled Sappy. In 2020, SM Entertainment announced that Irene and Seulgi would form the group’s first sub-unit. The style of the band has two different sides – an intense and captivating, and feminine and soft.
- The group started forming in the year 2007 by SM Entertainment.
- The members of this band are – Irene, Seulgi, Wendy, Joy, and Yeri.
- In 2018, the group was honored Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism Commendation by South Korea.
No 7. Twice
Twice is a very famous South Korean girl group. The group was formed under the television program Sixteen made his debut with the extended play The Story Begins. The group got its stardom in 2016 with their single Cheer Up. In 2017, the group made its debut in Japan under Warner Music Japan. In 2017, the group represented 30 different brands including cosmetics, clothing, online and mobile games, food and beverages, credit cards, and more. In 2019, the group became the third female Korean act to chart into the Canadian Hot 100. In June 2021, the group announced that they are going to release an English digital single in September 2021.
- The group was started forming in 2013 under JYP Entertainment.
- The member of this group are Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Momo, Sana, Jihyo, Mina, Dahyun, Tzuyu, and Chaeyoung.
- The group has received a total of 108 awards out of 264 nominations.
No 8. Got 7
Got 7 is a very known South Korean Boy Band. The group made its debut with the first EP ‘Got It’. The group was described as a hip-hop group that includes martial arts tricking and b-boying styles in their performance. In 2016, the group released their first full-length Japanese studio album titled Moriagatteyo. In 2018, the group was appointed honorary ambassador for Korea’s National Fire Agency. In February 2021, the group released a teaser for an upcoming single called “Encore” on a new YouTube channel.
- The group was started forming in 2009 under JYP Entertainment.
- This group consists of 8 members- Mark, Jay B, Jackson, Jinyoung, Youngjae, Bambam, and Yugyeom.
- The group has received a total of 53 awards out of 151 nominations.
No 9. Wanna One
Wanna One is a very popular South Korean boy band. The group made its official debut in 2017 at an event titled Wanna One Premier Show-Con that took place at the Gocheok Sky Dome. After this, the group also released their debut extended play One To Be One. In 2018, the group posted a series of teaser images titled 2018 Golden Age Begins. The group announced that the members will split into multiple units such as Dynamic Duo, Zico, Nell, and Heize. In 2018, the group ranked second on Forbes Korea Power Celebrity. In 2017, the group was featured in 16 advertisements including cosmetics, clothing, mobile games, foods and beverages and more.
- The group was formed by CJ E&M.
- The members of this group are – Yoo Ji-Sung, Ha Sung-Woon, Hwang Min-Hyun, Ong Seong-wu, Kim-Jae Hwan, Kang Daniel, Park-Ji Hoon, Park Woo Jin, Bae Jin-Young, Lee Dae Hwi, and Lai Kuan-lin.
- This group has won 49 awards out of 100 nominations.
No 10. Astro
Astro is a very known South Korean boy band. The name of this group and member were introduced in 2015. In 2016 the group made its debut extended play with Spring Up. In 2018, the group embarked on a fan meeting world tour visiting cities in countries such as the United States, Canada, South Korea, Japan, and Thailand. In 2019, the group released their first full-length album All Light. In 2020, the group released a special single album One & Only for their 4th-anniversary debut. In April 2021, released their second full-length album All Yours.
- The Group was formed in 2015 by Fantagio.
- This group consisted of 6 members MJ, Jinjin, Cha Eun-woo, Moon Bin, Rocky, and Yoon San-ha.
- The group was awarded Best Artist – Mexico by Ten Asia Global Top Ten Awards.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Who is the number 1 KPop group?
BTS is the number 1 KPop group.
Which are the most popular KPop groups?
In the above article, you can check out the most popular KPop groups.