Largest Mosque In The World: The whole world is full of heritage and pilgrimage places. People visit these places to pray to God. These places have some very different and positive vibes because of their holiness.
Largest Mosque In The World
Mosques are the place where Muslim people visit to pray or worship. Mosques are pilgrimage places for Muslim people. Here is the list of the largest mosques in the world. In this article, you will also get to know about the area of the mosque and the capacity of holding worshippers in it.
No 1. Masjid al-Haram
Masjid al-Haram ranks at the first position in the list of the largest mosque in the world. This mosque surrounds the Kabba in Mecca, in the Makkah Province of Saudi Arabia. It is a site of pilgrimage in the Hajj, that every Muslim wish to do once in their lives. This mosque also involves some notable sites such as – Black Stone, the Zamzam Well, Maqam Ibrahim, and the hills of Safa and Marwa. This mosque has gone through many renovations and expansions over several years. This mosque is known as the Great Mosque of Mecca. It is the largest mosque in the world and the 8th largest building in the world.
- This mosque covers an area of about 356,000 square meters.
- The mosque has 9 Minarets and is 89 meters high.
- This mosque is located in Mecca, Hejaz, Saudi Arabia.
- This mosque has a capacity of 4 million worshippers.
No 2. Al-Masjid an-Nabawi
Al-Masjid an-Nabawi is a mosque built by the Islamic Prophet Muhammad in Medina, in the AI Madinah Province of Saudi Arabia. The land of this mosque belongs to two young orphans Sahl and Suhayl. When they know that Muhammad wants to acquire that land to construct a mosque, they offered the land to him as a gift. This mosque is situated on a rectangular plot and is divided into two stories. It has a flat paved roof topped with 27 sliding domes on square bases.
- This mosque was built by Muhammad in 622 CE after his arrival in Medina.
- This mosque covers an area of about 160,000 square meters.
- This mosque is located at Al Haram, Medina
- This mosque has 10 minarets and is 105 meters tall.
- This mosque has a capacity of holding 1,000,000 people.
No 3. Grand Jamia Mosque
Grand Jamia Mosque is a cultural complex that is under construction. The architect of this mosque is Nayyar Ali Dada. The design of this mosque is a mixture of Mughal, Arab, Persian, and Turkish architecture. This mosque is soo tall and huge that it would be seen from far away miles. This mosque is made using high-quality beige-colored marble from Balochistan. This mosque will be surrounded by arch-shaped walls from all 4 sides and large gardens.
- This mosque covers an area of 50 acres and is built on a 60 feet hill.
- This mosque has a single-monument minaret of 325 feet in height.
- The mosque consists of 150 domes, and the height of the largest single dome is 75 meters.
- This mosque has a capacity of holding 950,000 worshippers.
- This mosque is located in Bahria Town Karachi, Pakistan.
No 4. Imam Ali Shrine
Imam Ali Shrine is one of the most popular mosques in the world. Shia Muslims believe that this mosque contains the tomb of Ali ibn Abi Talib, cousin of Muhammad who later became his son-in-law. The first structure over the tomb of Ali was built by Abassid Caliph Harun al-Rashid in 786. After this, it was renovated and expanded by many dynasties. There are 3 entrances to the mosque – eastern – Main or Clock Portal, northern – al-Tusi portal, and southern – Qibla portal.
- This mosque has 42 meters big dome that is covered with 7777brick slabs painted in Golden.
- The dome is surrounded by twin 38 meters tall minarets.
- The construction of this mosque was completed in 977 CE.
- This mosque is located in Najaf, Iraq.
- The mosque can hold up to 800,000 worshippers at a time.
No 5. Imam Reza Shrine
Imam Reza Shrine is a complex that contains the tomb of Imam Reza. This complex also consists of a Goharshad mosque, a museum, a library, four seminaries, a cemetery, the Razavi University of Islamic Science, a dining hall for pilgrims, vast prayer halls, and more buildings. It is managed by Astan Quds Razavi Foundation and is headed by Ahmad Marvi. This mosque is made in Abbasid Islamic style.
- This mosque was established in 818.
- The mosque covers a total area of 598,657 square meters along with seven courtyards.
- This mosque has 8 minarets of 41 meters in height.
- This mosque is located in Mashhad, Iran.
- This mosque has a capacity of 700,000 worshippers.
No 6. Faisal Mosque
Faisal Mosque is one of the largest mosques in the world. The architect of this mosque was Vedat Dalokay. This mosque features a contemporary design that consists of 8 sides of a concrete shell. This design of the mosque was inspired by the Bedouin tent. The design of this mosque was styled in Modern Islamic style. This mosque doesn’t have any typical dome on it.
- The construction of this mosque was started in 1976, after a contribution of $28 million by Saudi King Faisal.
- This mosque covers an area of 1,400,000 square feet.
- The mosque has 4 minarets of 90 meters in height.
- This mosque is located in Islamabad, Pakistan.
- This mosque has a capacity of 400,000 worshippers.
No 7. Istiqlal Mosque
Istiqlal Mosque is the largest mosque in Southeast Asia. This mosque was opened to the public on 22nd February 1978. The architect of this mosque was Friedrich Silaban. The architecture style of this mosque is New Formalise. The mosque consists of 7 entrances, and all seven gates are named after Al-Asmaul-Husna. The wudu fountains are located on the ground floor. The main prayer hall and the main courtyard are on the first floor. The mosque consists of two rectangular connected buildings – the main structure, and the smaller secondary structure.
- The foundation stone of this mosque was laid in 1961 by Sukarno.
- This mosque has one minaret, which is 96.66 meters tall.
- The dome of the mosque is 45 meters in diameter.
- This mosque is located in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- This mosque has a capacity of 200,000 worshippers.
No 8. Taj-ul-Masajid
Taj-ul-Masajid is the largest mosque in India. The construction of this mosque was started by Nawab Shah Jahan Begum of Bhopal. After her death, it was completed by her daughter. The structure of this mosque was planned in the middle of three water bodies – Munshi Hussain Talaab, Noor Mahal Talaab, and Motia Talaab. The floor of the mosque is made of marble and a large Ablution tank is located at the center of the courtyard. The mosque consists of 3 domes. The construction style of the mosque is Indo-Islamic and Mughal architecture.
- The construction of this mosque was started in 1871 and completed in 1985.
- This mosque is located in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- The mosque has 3 minarets of 67 meters in height.
- The interior area covered by this mosque is 250,000 square feet.
- This mosque can hold up to 175,000 worshippers.
No 9. Jamkaran Mosque
Jamkaran Mosque is one of the largest and most popular mosques in the world. This place is considered a sacred place from 373 A.H, 17th Of Ramadan. Tuesday nights are very popular at this mosque. More than a hundred thousand pilgrims outside the mosque for Maghrib Prayer. Both men and women separately pray there and also have separate wells. The mosque kitchens also provide a free evening meal for thousands of poor people. The architecture of this mosque is in Islamic style. Over 15 million pilgrims visit this mosque every year on the birth anniversary of the 12th Imam in Mid-Sha’ban.
- The total area covered by the mosque is 40,000 square meters.
- The mosque has 17 meters high two minarets in the Southeast.
- The mosque consists of 5 domes.
- This mosque is located in Jamkaran, a village on the outskirts of Qom, Iran.
- This mosque can hold up to 150,000 worshippers.
No 10. Djamaa el Djazair
Djamaa el Dajazair is one of the largest mosques in the world. The architect of this mosque was China State Construction Engineering. The mosque was designed by German architects KSP Juergen Engel Architekten and engineers Krebs und Kiefer International. This complex also consists of a Quran school, a park, a library, a staff housing area, a fire station, a museum of Islamic art, and a research center on the history of Algeria.
- The construction of this mosque was started in 2012 and was completed in 2019.
- This mosque is divided into 37 floors.
- This mosque is located in Algiers, Algeria.
- The mosque has 265 meters tall minaret, which makes it the tallest building in Africa.
- This mosque has a capacity of 120,000 worshippers.
Which is the largest mosque in the world.
Masjid al-Haram is the largest mosque in the world.
Is Jama Masjid the largest mosque?
Jama Masjid is one of the largest mosques in India.