Top 10 Best Chess Players In India | Famous Chess Players In India: Viswanathan Anand who is also known as Vishy Anand and the Tiger of Madras and is India’s first Grandmaster (GM), having won the FIDE (International Chess Federation) world championship five times between 2000 and 2012 is the most famous chess player in India, having entitled as one of the best chess players in India as well.
You May Click Here To Get Information About → Top 10 Best Chess Players In The World
Top 10 Best Chess Players In India | Famous Chess Players In India
Chess has grown in popularity in India over the last few decades, thanks in large part to Viswanathan Anand, a chess Grandmaster, and former 5-time World Champion. The game is thought to have arisen in India as a descendant of Chaturanga or Shatranj. The All India Chess Federation is India’s chess governing body.
The global pandemic has sparked a massive surge in online chess. Chess has become a common pastime and coping mechanism for large segments of the population who have been placed under lockdown.
Following are the Top 10 Best Chess Players In India | Famous Chess Players In India
No 1. Viswanathan Anand
Having a net worth of $3 million, Viswanathan Anand is a former world chess champion and Indian chess grandmaster. He became India’s first grandmaster in 1988, and he is one of the few players to have achieved an Elo rating of 2800, which he achieved for the first time in 2006. Five times, Anand has won the World Chess Championship.
- Vishwanathan Anand tops the list of the top 10 Best chess players in India and is one of the famous chess players in India.
No 2. Pentala, Harikrishna
Having a net worth of $2.5 million, Pentala, Harikrishna became India’s youngest Grandmaster in 2001 after winning the Commonwealth Championship. In 2004, he won the World Junior Championship, and in 2011, he won the Asian Individual Championship.
- He received his first G.M. norm in 2011 after winning the World Youth Chess Championship in the U-20 category.
- He earned his second G.M. norm the following year, after performing well at the Nagpur International Open.
No 3. Vidit Santosh Gujrathi
Bagging a net worth of $2 million, Vidit Santosh Gujrathi in 2008, became the first Indian to win the World Youth Chess Championship in the U-14 division, earning the title of International Master. After winning the World Youth Chess Championship in the U-20 category in 2011, he won his first G.M. norm in 2011.
After a strong showing at the Nagpur International Open the following year, he won his second G.M. norm. In 2012, he finished third at the Rose Valley Kolkata Open, earning his final G.M. norm. In 2013, Vidit finished third in the World Junior Chess Championship (U20) held in Turkey.
- Only Vidit from the Indian team met his goal and took home the bronze medal.
- One of the famous chess players in India, Vidit is very successful and is doing good in Life.
No 4. Baskaran Adhiban
Having a net worth of $1.5 million, Adhiban Baskaran is ranked fourth among the top 10 best chess players in India. This Indian Chessmaster was born on August 15, 1992, in Tamil Nadu, and rose to prominence in 2007 after winning the Asian U-16 championship in Tashkent. In 2008, he won the Under-16 World Youth Championship, and in 2009, he won the 47th Premier National Chess Championship.
- He was promoted to Grandmaster in 2010. In 2013, he qualified for the World Cup after finishing second at the Asian Continental Championship, where he was defeated by US GM Hikaru Nakamura.
- He qualified for the 2015 World Cup as well but was knocked out in the first round.
No 5. Krishnan Sasikiran
Krishan Sasikiran who owns a net worth of $1 million learned chess from his father, S. Krishnan, at the very early age of 9. Sasikiran earned the title of Grandmaster after winning the Commonwealth Championship in Sangli in 2000.
- In the year 2000, he also won the Hastings International Chess Tournament.
No 6. S.P. Sethuraman
Owning a net worth of $1 million S.P. Sethuraman who was born in Chennai on February 25, 1993, stands at 6th position in the list of famous chess players in India. He represented his country at the World U16 Championships in Antalya. He won the Indian National Premier Championship in 2015 and represented his country at the Chess World Cup in 2015.
- He also won the Asian Chess Championship, which was held in Tashkent in 2016.
- He currently has a FIDE ranking of 2644.
No 7. Surya Shekhar Ganguly
Surya Shekhar Ganguly who was born on February 24, 1983, in Kolkata, India has a net worth of $1 Million. He achieved the International Master title at the age of 16, followed by the Grandmaster title at the age of 19. He won the Asian Chess Championship in 2009, and he has the distinction of becoming the Indian Champion six times in a row.
- In national and international chess competitions, he has won forty gold medals, twenty-one silver medals, and six bronze medals.
- He won twelve gold, four silver, and three bronze medals in team competitions.
- Individual gold in the Hunan International Open (2019) and individual gold in the World Team Championship in Astana are only a few of his recent achievements.
No 8. Nihal Sarin
Nihal Sarin was born in Kerela on July 13, 2004, owns a net worth of $1 Million. At the age of 14, he was appointed Grandmaster. He’s also the third-youngest player in history to reach the 2600 Elo rating mark, having done so at the age of 14. Nihal Sarin stands at 8 in the list of top 10 best chess players in India that names this renowned chess player as one of the famous chess players in India too.
- Nihal was the world U10 champion in 2014. In 2015, he took silver in the world U12 championship in Porto Carras, Greece, after tying for first.
- He currently has a FIDE ranking of 2620.
No 9. Sunilduth Lyna Narayanan
Sunilduth Lyna Narayanan, also known as S.L. Narayanan, is an Indian chess player who holds the rank of Grandmaster (G.M.). He captured the bronze medal at the World Junior Chess Championship in Bhubaneswar in 2016.
- At the Ellobregat Open in 2019, S.L. Narayanan won his first foreign tournament. In Barcelona, Spain, he earned an Elo rating of 2712.
- Narayanan had a strong showing at the FIDE Grand Swiss 2019 on the Isle of Man, where he competed against players with Elo ratings of 2650 and higher.
- He also qualified for the 2019 World Cup, where he was defeated in the first round by David Anton Guijarro.
No 10. Koneru Humpy
Koneru Humpy is an Indian chess player who is also a winning women’s world rapid champion. In the year 2002, she became the youngest woman ever to win the title of Grandmaster at the age of 15 years, 27 months, 1 year crushing Judit Polgár’s old record by three months. She has bagged a net worth of $1 Million in her chess career and is quite successful in the game.
- Who is the No 1 chess player in India?
- Vishwanathan Anand is the number 1 chess player in India.
2. Who is the best chess player in India?
- Vishwanathan Anand is the best chess player in India.
3. Who is the No 2 chess player in India?
- Pentala, Harikrishna is the No 2 chess player in India.
4. Who is the father of chess in India?
- Vishwanathan Anand is the father of chess in India.
Chess is the ultimate game that is simple to learn but difficult to master. In a few minutes, everyone can learn how to move the pieces and understand what is going on in a game between professional players, but only a few of us can ever reach Grandmaster status