Top 10 Most Luxurious Trains In India: The Maharaja Express is the most luxurious train in India that runs on 5 major routes and provides its passengers all the best facilities. India has the fourth-largest train network in the entire world. As traveling by plane is still an expensive affair for the average Indian man, most of the Indian population depends on this vast network for their transportation needs. These trains will take you on an adventure through the various beautiful cities that are spread across India. All this can be enjoyed in the beautifully made coaches who are no less than a 5-star suite.
Top 10 Most Luxurious Trains In India | Luxury | Fare | Route | Food
The service provided by trains is fast and cheap but is nowhere close to being called comfortable. Most of the time, it is filled with overly crowded coaches and bone-shaking ride quality. For those looking for comfort and luxury, traveling by plane is the only option. But, this narrative has changed as many ultra-luxurious trains have been introduced all over the country. But this luxury and comfort do cost a fortune. So let’s take a look at the Top 10 Most Luxurious Trains In India, which are also the best trains in India.
No 1. Maharaja’s Express
The Maharaja Express is one of the most expensive trains in India. It is also known as the all-time most luxurious train in India. The train runs on 5 major routes, which cover most of northern India. The train is equipped with two bar counters, a restaurant, lavish suite rooms, deluxe cabins, and butler service.
- This train was also voted as the ‘World’s Leading Luxury Train.’ You can choose from the ultra-premium suites or the various deluxe cabins available. The train has a Safari Bar where guests can enjoy books and board games along with exquisite wines and spirits.
- The Heritage of India Starts from Mumbai – Ajanta – Udaipur – Jodhpur – Bikaner – Jaipur – Ranthambore – Agra – and ends at Delhi.
- Operation Period:
- This train operated from October to April.
- The train has world-class chefs who are capable of making a variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes.
- Mewar Cuisine is highly recommended.
- Special Jain food is also available.
- For Heritage of India, India Splendour, and Indian Panorama tours, which are for 6 nights and 7 days, the price is as follows:
- Deluxe Cabin Twin: INR 8,94,758
Presidential Suite: INR 37,93,482
- For the Treasures Of India Tour, the price is as follows:
- Deluxe Cabin Twin: INR 5,41,023
Presidential Suite: INR 20,64,804
No 2. The Deccan Odyssey
The Deccan Odyssey is another one of the most expensive trains in India that run through Rajasthan, Gujarat, and Maharashtra. The Royal Blue color that the train adorns gives it a distinctively unique look. The train has 12 luxurious cabins that are well furnished and have all the amenities necessary for a comfortable stay.
- The train has a personal attendant that serves the guests round the clock. For leisure, the train has a bar, two restaurants, a lounge, a spa, and a conference hall.
- Maharashtra Splendour
- Starts from Mumbai – Nasik – Ellora Cave – Ajanta Caves – Kolhapur – Goa – Ratnagiri – ends at Mumbai
- Indian Odyssey
- Starts from Delhi – Sawai Madhopur – Agra – Jaipur – Udaipur – Vadodara – Ellora Caves – ends at Mumbai
- Operation Period:
- The train operates from October to April.
- The train has two restaurants called Peshwa I and Peshwa II that provide premium quality and hygienic food prepared by expert chefs.
- Both vegetarian and non-vegetarian food options are available on the train.
- Attendants in traditional Maharashtrian attire serve guests.
- The fares mentioned are for 7 nights and 8 days across all routes.
- Deluxe Cabin (Single Occupancy): INR 5,12,400
- Deluxe Cabin (Double Occupancy): INR 7,35,000
- Presidential Suite: INR 11,09,850
No 3. Palace On Wheels
To boost tourism, the Palace on Wheels was renovated and re-launched in the year 2009. The train has the capacity to cater to 82 passengers. It is also one of the best trains in India to travel from. It also has beautifully made 39 deluxe cabins and 2 super deluxe cabins.
- All the cabins in the train are named after the royal forts and palaces of Rajasthan. The Rajputana and the Nizams heavily inspire the overall design and ambiance of the train.
- It starts from Delhi – Jaipur – Sawai Madhopur – Chittorgarh – Udaipur – Jaisalmer – Jodhpur – Bharatpur – Agra – Delhi and covers all the major attractions in each city.
- The Palace on Wheels operates from September to April.
- The train has two restaurants named Maharaja and Maharani, which are famous for their changing menus.
- The traditional Rajasthani food is highly rated by guests.
- The restaurants also provide international cuisines as well.
- The journey is of 7 nights and 8 days across the northern cities of India.
- 7 nights Deluxe Cabin Single Occupancy: INR 5,23,600
- 7 nights Super Deluxe Cabin: INR 9,42,480
No 4. The Golden Chariot
The Karnataka government and IRCTC launched the Golden Chariot in the year 2009. It is one of the luxury trains in India that covers southern India. This train was awarded as ‘Asia’s Leading Luxury Train’ in the year 2013. The train has well-equipped and luxurious interiors with traditional Indian design. It has two multi-cuisine restaurants along with a bar. The train also boasts of a gym and Ayurveda spa.
- Pride of the South
- Starts from Bangalore – Kabini – Mysore – Hassan – Hampi – Badami – Goa – ends back at Bangalore
- Southern Splendour
- Starts from Bangalore – Chennai – Mahabalipuram – Pondicherry – Thanjavur – Madurai – Thiruvananthapuram – Alleppey – Kochi – ends back at Bangalore.
- The train operates from October to March.
- The train has two multi-cuisine restaurants called Nala and Ruchi.
- South Indian cuisine is especially famous.
- The restaurant serves vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian food to its guests.
- The train runs for 6 nights and 7 days on the first route and 3 nights and 4 days on the second one price of both are given respectively.
- Pride of Karnataka or Jewels of South: INR 5,88,242
- Glimpses of Karnataka: INR 3,36,137
No 5. Buddha’s Circuit Train
Buddha’s Circuit Train is categorized as one of the fewer-known luxury trains in India. This train runs through the beautiful states of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, which is Buddha’s birthplace. This train uses coaches that are similar to the coaches seen in the Rajdhani Express.
- The train is sufficiently equipped and does not boast of ultra-premium luxury facilities seen in the other trains on this list. The train has a restaurant, hot & cold shower facilities, leg massagers, a small library and the train is equipped with CCTV cameras.
- The train travels through one single route, which starts from Delhi.
- Starts from Delhi – Gaya – Bodhgaya – Nalanda – Rajgir – Varanasi – Sarnath – Lumbini – Kushinagar – Gorakhpur – Balrampur – Agra – ends back at Delhi
- The train operates from October to March.
- As the train provides decent accommodation facilities and guests stay at hotels at the destination places, the train only has the onboard restaurant.
- Good quality hygienic meals are provided as per the itinerary
- All the fares are for 7 nights and 8 days.
- AC First Class – INR 84,211
- AC Two Tier – INR 68,900
- AC First Coupe – INR 95,148
No 6. Royal Orient Express
- The Royal Orient Express is another luxury train in India that travels through the beautiful states of Rajasthan and Gujarat on an epic 7 nights 8 days journey. The train has various luxurious amenities for the comfort of its guests. It is definitely one of the expensive trains in India. There are 13 luxurious and well-made coaches on the train. It is also 1 of the oldest running luxury trains in the country. Hence it is one of the expensive trains in India.
- The train starts from New Delhi and goes through Gujarat and Rajasthan.
- Starts from Delhi – Chittorgarh/Udaipur -Junagarh/Veraval- Sasan Gir/Dilwara – Palitana- Sarkhej- Ahmedabad- Jaipur- ends at Delhi
- The train operates all year round. Due to the pandemic, the operation of this train has been stopped temporarily and will resume after the situation eases.
- The train has two restaurants that offer traditional Rajasthani and Gujarati dishes.
- Both vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes are available on the train.
- From October to March
- Single occupancy – INR 25,000
Double Occupancy – INR 56,000
3 Bed Cabin – INR 94,000
From April to September
- Single occupancy – INR 21,000
Double Occupancy – INR 65,000
3 Bed Cabin – INR 1,15,000
No 7. Fairy Queen Express (Top 10 Most Luxurious Trains In India)
- The Fairy Queen Express is a well-known luxury train across the entire country. It still uses a steam engine to pull its coaches. This has become its major attraction. The steam locomotive was built in 1855 and was restored to its former glory in 1997 in Chennai. The train runs between New Delhi and Alwar. The steam-operated train has an air-conditioned coach that has a seating capacity of 60 passengers.
- The train runs between the station of New Delhi and Alwar.
- It is the oldest running steam locomotive in the whole world.
- The train operates from October to March.
- The steam engine has a pantry car that provides normal refreshments.
- The accommodation of guests is at a resort; hence the train does not have a dedicated restaurant.
- Full Package
- Adult – 7500
- Child – 3750
No 8. Lifeline Express (Top 10 Most Luxurious Trains In India)
Lifeline Express is also commonly known as Jeevan Rekha Express, and it is a mobile train-based hospital that travels throughout different parts of India. This express was started on 16th July 1991. This train was started as a collaboration between the Health Ministry, Indian Railways, and Impact India Foundation.
- The main idea behind this train was to provide onsite medical and surgical assistance across rural inaccessible parts of India. Although it may not be one of the expensive trains in India, it surely is an important one.
- Across rural inaccessible parts of India.
- Currently stationed in Badarpur, Assam.
- Operation Period:
- As it is a hospital, it operates round the clock all days of the week.
The train has a well-equipped pantry that makes it healthy and nutritious for the staff and the patients.
It is an expense-free service provided by the government.
No 9. Samjhauta Express (Top 10 Most Luxurious Trains In India)
Samjhauta Express train is run between the countries of India and Pakistan as a collaboration. This train was started on 22 July 1976 and ran twice a week. It surely isn’t one of the luxury trains in India 2021, but it is an excellent peacekeeping effort by both nations.
- The train starts from New Delhi and ends at Lahore, Punjab. It also stops for a customs check a Wagah, Pakistan. It is an important train connecting the two countries and has also been a part of a bombing raid in 2007, leading to 70 fatalities.
- New Delhi, India to Lahore, Pakistan.
- The border crossing happens at Wagah, Punjab.
- The train operates throughout the year twice a week.
- The train has a catering pantry provided by the railways.
- As of today, the train stands canceled due to tensions between the two countries.
No 10. Maitree Express (Top 10 Most Luxurious Trains In India)
- Maitree Express train is another train that started as an initiative for good international relations with Bangladesh. People in West Bengal and Bangladesh have relatives on either side. Hence, this train makes travel easier for them. This train was started on 14th April 2008. The train operates for five days a week and covers a distance of 400 km. The entire journey takes about 9 hours. When the train arrives in Darshana, Bangladesh, the crew is changed.
- The train starts from Kolkata, India, and stops at its destination, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- It is a 400 km long journey.
- The train operates throughout the year, five days a week.
- Unnati Kitchens provide the food for this train.
- They have a wide range of food items that are safe and hygienic.
- AC First Class – 1400 Rs.
AC Two Tier – 845 Rs.
1. Which is the most expensive luxury train in India?
The Maharaja’s Express is the most expensive luxury train in India, with its Presidential Suite costing a whopping INR 37 93,482.
2. Which is the best train in India?
The Golden Chariot is the best train in India with its comfortable, luxurious, and feature-rich interiors.
3. Is India’s first luxury train?
The Palace on Wheels is the first luxury train in India.
4. Which is the most luxurious train in India?
The Deccan Odyssey is claimed to be the most luxurious train in India.