Top 10 Interior Designers In India: Interior design is the art and science of enhancing the interior of a building to achieve a healthier and more aesthetically pleasing environment for the people using the space. An interior designer is someone who plans, researches, coordinates, and manages such enhancement projects. Interior design is a multifaceted profession that includes conceptual development, space planning, site inspections, programming, research, communicating with the stakeholders of a project.
Top 10 Interior Designers In India
In this article, we are going to discuss the top 10 Interior Designers in India. We have classified these designers based on their planning, revenue, programming, net worth, and many more details in this list. Here below is the list of the top 10 interior designers in India.
No.1 Sunita Kohli
Sunita Kohli is a research-based interior designer and President of K2INDIA. She is known for having massive experience in historical interior architecture and architectural restoration. She has also played an important role in the manufacturer of fine contemporary and classical furniture. She has done BA (Hons.) degree and a Master in English Literature. She never took any formal training in design and an autodidact. She is the first interior designer who became an awardee of Padma Shri in 1992. She was in authority for adorning and re-establishing the Prime Minister’s Office.
- Born- 28 Dec 1946
- Alma Mater- Lady Shriram College, New Delhi, and Lucknow University
- Awards- Padma Shri
- Practice- President, K2India (Architecture, Interior Design, Furniture, Restoration
- Design- Known to be original, research-based, and culture-specific in response to different locations across India and other countries.
No.2 Shabnam Gupta
Shabnam Gupta expresses stories by making use of spaces. She has a dreamer’s eyes to eloquent stories through attractive design and a creative mind. Shabnam Gupta is one of the most awarded interior designers in the country and is known to conjure up visual wonders and is recognized for her personally tailored, client specific interiors that use bursts of colors, textures, and other unique elements within a contemporary design palette.
- Education: She completed her graduation in the sphere of interior design from L.S. Raheja College of Architecture.
- Awards: Her works which include unique style forms, have won her numerous honorable awards, including one of the prestigious awards in interior designing, i.e., AD50 2017 Award for the 50 most influential and significant architects and interior designers.
- Work: Her recent projects consist of homes for Rani Mukerji and Kangana Ranaut; outlets of The Bar Stock Exchange in Mumbai and Bengaluru; Social in Pune; and a university in Chandigarh.
No.3 Ambrish Arora
Having more than 30 years of working experience, he made his mark in Spatial Design. He also has experience working as a boat designer. In the year 2002, he instituted Studio Lotus along with Sidhartha Talwar & Ankur Choksi. Ambrish trained and worked as a boat designer before moving to Spatial Design. He founded Studio Lotus in 2002 along with Sidhartha Talwar and Ankur Choksi. Ambrish has an active interest in Design Thinking and Research.
- Education: He is an autodidact or self-taught designer.
- Awards: He received numerous awards like the World Holiday Building of the year at the World Architecture Festival & World Architecture News awards, the Creative Reuse Category Winner – INSIDE Awards at World Architecture Festival Berlin, the Grand Jury Prize at the Design for Asia Award, made up to the AD50 list for 4 consecutive years, a nomination for the Aga Khan Awards cycle 2013 and many more.
- Work: Ambrish is a Fellow of the RSA, a design consultant to the Crafts Museum Delhi, the Mehrangarh Museum Trust, and has served as visiting faculty, consultant, and juror to architecture and design schools across the country and has lectured extensively at design events in India and abroad.
No.4 Lipika Sud
Lipika Sud’s work spreads across the residential, corporate office, and designing of hotel spaces. She has been a proud recipient of the prestigious title of Best Design Professional of 2012. She is the Founder Director of ‘Lipika Sud Interiors Pvt. Ltd’ and ‘Dimension Designers Pvt. Ltd’ and has been practicing Interior Design for over two decades (since 1989). She also runs Art n Aura- an Art services company.
- Education: Lipika is an Economics (Hons.) graduate from Shri Ram College of Commerce, Delhi University.
- Awards: The designer received the award as the best design professional of 2012 for her outstanding contribution like FICCI FILO, Indian Power Awards, etc.
- Work: Some of her noted projects are Havells Corporate office, Ericsson, Hindustan Times – Study Mate, Sharda University, Shivaji Stadium Metro Station & New Delhi Railway Metro Station, and many more.
No.5 Aamir and Hameeda
Aamir Sharma is a dynamic yet thoughtful designer whose work is invariably modern ‘with an eclectic twist.’ He likes to describe his designs as ‘creative and playful.’ Aamir and Hameeda Interior Designers and Contractors (AANDH) deliver chic, refined interiors with luxurious finishes and occasional bursts of daring color or modern geometrics.
Work: They have designed more than 47 restaurants and bars in Hyderabad alone in the last eight years. Some of his projects consist of N Grill in Hyderabad.
Awards: They have bagged many up to 20 National and Regional Awards for Excellence in Design, including the Hafele Trends Excellence Award in Interior Design in 2016 and 2017, and have won many National and Regional Awards by IIID.
No.6 Tanya Gyani
Gyani graduated from the National Institute of Fashion Technology in New Delhi, India, and completed her Masters in Interior Design from Florence, Italy, where she was awarded the Elite Student Award of the FDA. Tanya is a Delhi-based globally famous interior designer from India. She has a background in background in residential interior design and home decoration. After working as an interior designer in Dubai, Hong Kong, and India, she moved to the U.S and has opened her boutique design firm based in Palo Alto, California.
- Education: Gyani graduated from the National Institute of Fashion Technology in New Delhi, India, and completed her Master’s in Interior Design from Florence, Italy.
- Awards: She was awarded the Elite Student Award of the FDA while studying at Interior Design from Florence, Italy,
- Work: Her floral arrangements work can be seen at select restaurants and Tech companies in Palo Alto. She was the chief interior design consultant to one of India’s top real estate developers.
No.7 Anjum Jung
She is the founder of founder Morph Design, an interior design firm based out of Bengaluru, and sister of Prestige Group. She had no formal training in design; she says it was her inherent talent and core strength that allowed her to adapt to the field so quickly. Anjum has nurtured MDC into one of the country’s most respected decor studios with a globally recognized clientele and numerous national and international awards to its credit.
- Education: She has been educated at Cornell.
- Work: Her work can be seen at various projects like Prestige Silver Oak, Prestige Edwardian, Prestige Oasis Resort, Footworks Spa – Orion Mall, Angsana Oasis Spa, Oakwood Premier Prestige, Prestige Golfshire villas, and many more.
- Awards: She is a winner of numerous national and international awards and running one of the country’s most respected décor studios with globally recognized clientele.
No.8 Ajay Shah
He is a Mumbai-based designer who has his forte in retail-based designing. His design studio name is ASDS (Ajay Shah Design Studio). He has worked on several projects, including industrial designs as well as architectural structures. Mumbai-based Ajay Shah has mastered the art of designing retail spaces. Besides that, he also designs industrial and architectural structures.
- Education: He is a graduate of The National Institute of Design. Ahmedabad, INDIA. He specialized in Furniture Design within Industrial Design.
- Work: He has produced creative brands, industrial designs, and interior spaces for several renowned companies like Gemini Cinemas, PVR Cinemas, Le Mill, Tommy Hilfiger, and InOrbit.
No.9 Payal Kapoor
She is an interior Designer of an international Repute and a member of the Association of designers, whose work has been featured in numerous publications and TV shows in India and abroad. She is also a columnist for Hindustan Times, Pioneer Newspaper, and advisor to Asahiana interior program on Zee TV. She is probably the only Indian designer featured in the latest Volume of Barons Greatest Interior Designers of the world.
- Education: She has done her master’s in interior designing from New Delhi Polytechnic.
- Work: Her work can be seen in private residences to trains like the Palace on Wheels and the Rajdhani and heritage buildings like the Umaid Bhavan, Balsamand lake palace, hotels like Imperial hotel and schools like GD Goenka School, showrooms like Central Cottage Industries Corp. Ltd, New Delhi, and the International school.
- Award: Her Name is now included in Barons’ Who’s Who of the World Global edition.
No.10 Sudhir Gandhi (Top 10 Interior Designers In India)
He is Sudhir Gandhi & Associates, one of India’s topmost interior designing companies, which consists of engineers, planners, structural restoration, etc. This company is equipped with a high-profile clientele with great satisfaction.
- Education: He has done B. Arch. from J.J. School of Architecture
- Work: Some renowned interior design projects consist of HSBC Bank, Corporate Office, HDFC Bank Corporate Office (Gurgaon, Chandigarh, Chennai), Standard Chartered Bank -Delhi, IRCTC, SEBI Corporate Office -Delhi.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Q- Who is the richest interior designer in India?
A- Sunita Kohli is the richest interior designer in India.
Q- Who is the no.1 interior designer in India?
A- Sunita Kohli is ranked in the first position in India’s list of best interior designers.
Q- Who is the father of interior design?
A- Elsie de Wolfe invented interior design as a profession. He is known as the father of interior design.
Q- Which country is best for interior designers?
A- USA is considered the best country for an interior designer.